Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cheezy Jalapeno Pasta




Sometimes the last thing I wanted to do was cook (I know, hard to believe!) A really terrible fast food thought came through my head multiple times as I sat down on the computer to surf my favorite blogs. After an hour nothing struck me as something I wanted to make for supper & I had no creative ideas either. I was about to give up so I decided to look one last time in the fridge and spotted the bag of asparagus at the back. I also really wanted something comforting tonight. So I decided on pasta w/ asparagus. Now what? I wanted to use some of my Daiya cheese that I bought this weekend so I decided on a cheese sauce and set out from there. This really was a "make it as you go" sauce but I have to say it turned out fabulous! I also decided that it would be delicious as a cheese sauce on nachos or in a chili casserole which I think I may attempt with the leftovers!

Cheese Sauce:
2 T vegan butter
1/8 C flour
1 1/2 C soy milk
1/2 C Daiya soy cheese
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t red chili paste or 1/2-1 jalapeno diced
salt to taste
2 T tomato paste

Add butter to pot & heat on medium-high until melted. Add in flour & whisk frequently until it becomes thick (about 5 minutes). Add in milk, daiya, garlic, chili paste, salt & tomato paste & continue whisking. Turn heat down to low & allow to thicken (another 5 minutes)


Add some olive oil or water to a pan & saute asparagus & mushrooms until cooked



Add to cooked pasta of your choice & mix with 4 T per person of cheese sauce & serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment