I watch a lot of cooking shows on the weekends and recently I saw Chicken Pot Pie on Home Made Simple and I remembered how much I LOVED pot pie before I went vegan! So I decided I was going to make a vegan version of this that is just as satisfying and creamy as the chicken version. You can use store bought pie crust but it's fairly easy to make so I just found a recipe online at Veg Family.
This is a recipe that I recommend to try especially if you are looking for something to serve to non vegan family members! It's hearty & filling and brings back memories of mom's pot pie growing up!I promise this one is a must!

Home Made Simple http://www.homemadesimple.com/en-us/foodandrecipes/pages/classic-chicken-pot-pie.aspx?TID=92ef1f99-5912-462d-96fb-1fce0471f5f6
Veg Family http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-recipes/desserts/vegan-pie-crust.htm
Pie Crust:
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup margarine ( I used Becel Vegan)
5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
Filling:
5 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/2 cup flour
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 package med-firm tofu chopped into one inch pieces
2 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp summer savory (or more to taste)
1 tbsp oregano
Cracked pepper & Sea salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a cast iron skillet or stockpot over medium heat, warm olive oil. Slowly add flour and stir constantly until light brown, about 5-10 minutes.
Add onion, celery, carrots, potatoes and garlic, then stir to coat. Pour in vegetable stock, oregano, summer savory and tofu, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Season with sea salt & pepper.
Add onion, celery, carrots, potatoes and garlic, then stir to coat. Pour in vegetable stock, oregano, summer savory and tofu, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Season with sea salt & pepper.

Now make the pie crust. In a medium bowl with fork, lightly stir together flour and salt.
With pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle in cold water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition until pastry just holds together.
With hands, shape pastry into ball. Divide pastry into 2 pieces, one slightly larger, and then gently shape each piece into a ball.
On lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, roll 2 balls with one being slightly larger then the pie plate or pan
Layer bottom of pan with first crust & fill with contents.
With hands, shape pastry into ball. Divide pastry into 2 pieces, one slightly larger, and then gently shape each piece into a ball.
On lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, roll 2 balls with one being slightly larger then the pie plate or pan
Layer bottom of pan with first crust & fill with contents.

Cut 3 small holes in the top to allow a vent & then top with second pie of pie crust pushing down on the edges to seal with a fork

Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes & serve immediately!

No comments:
Post a Comment