Sunday, September 18, 2011

Garlic Pesto Twists


We had a potluck recently at work and I always struggle with what to bring because people usually like meatballs or meaty casseroles. A friend of mine always makes these kick butt pesto naan bread so I thought about making them into bite size twisty breadsticks! The bulk of the time here is letting the bread rise but you can also use store bought pizza dough for a quicker version. I doubled this recipe for the potluck but this will make a good portion for your guests.

Bread:
2 C all purpose white or whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp oil
1/2 C warm water
1 tsp Rapid Rise Yeast
1 tsp sugar (I use organic cane)
1 T basil
1 T dried garlic flakes
1 T dried onion
Pesto

Add water, sugar and yeast together. Whisk & set aside for about 15 minutes until it becomes frothy on top. Mix flour, salt and egg re placer well in bowl. Add in onion, garlic & basil. Then add oil and mix well so it does not become clumpy. Slowly add in water & yeast mix turning 1/4 of the way each time and kneading until it becomes a dough ball. Drizzle oil on the outside so that it does not form a “skin” and then place in a bowl covered with a towel. Heat over to about 350 F then turn off. Place bowl in oven and allow to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.
Lightly flour surface and roll out with a rolling pin. Spread Pesto across evenly
Fold both ends over and then slice into strips
Twist strips and place on non stick baking sheet. I use a stone pan so that it doesn't stick
Bake on broil for 5-7 minutes each side
I made smaller bite size ones and larger breadstick ones
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or tomato sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment