Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lemongrass Vermicelli Stir-fry


I made this one up inspired by a recent trip to a Thai restaurant. A friend of mine always gets the deep fried vermicelli! I eat deep friend food once a week so this weekend I made this. It is pretty easy to make but the sauce takes the longest to boil.

Lemongrass broth:
4 stalks of lemon grass & 2 garlic cloves finely chopped (I use a food processor)
5 cups water
3 tablespoons tamari
¼ C lime juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch

For tips on cooking lemongrass visit  http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipesstepbystep/ss/lemongrasshowto.htm

Boil all these ingredients for about 20 minutes
Cut up some firm Tofu (and heat oil in a pan or deep fryer. Add cut pieces and fry for about 2 minutes until they are golden brown on the outside. Drain & then add in a cowl with lemongrass sauce.
Cut veggies of choice. I use onions, mushrooms, peppers & zucchini but you can use anything. Feel free to get creative! Sautee for about 3-5 minutes in some of the lemongrass sauce.
Once everything is ready add raw vermicelli and deep fry for about 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Drain and top with veggies, tofu & sauce.
The trick is once you add the sauce it will soften the crispy noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment