Sunday, September 18, 2011

Re-fried Beans


Until I learned how to make them I always bought re-fried beans in a can. But they are so easy to make and you can put way less salt in them when you make them at home. I like to make them in my slow cooker but if you are pressed for time you can make them on the stove too. You can also pair it with guacamole & salsa to do a 3 layer dip!

2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
2 garlic cloves minced or sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
6 cups water



Add everything to the slow cooker and turn on high for 8 hrs. Strain water and mash beans. Add bean water back in as needed for texture.

*you can also save the bean water and use it as a broth for cooking, stirfry's or soups

No comments:

Post a Comment