I have started a new obsession with Indian food! I am a sauce fanatic to begin with and I love how their dishes blend so well together and taste so rich & creamy. I was having a hard time finding vegan dishes so I improvised this one myself. I got the gravy recipe fromhttp://showmethecurry.com/curries/malai-kofta.html. From the way this one turned out I think this might be one of my new favorite site's. I think the reason I never dabbled into Indian food before was because I thought it would be complicated & time consuming. But this recipe was so easy to make & I doubled it so that I would have lots left over for the week. I learned from a friend that Indian food is about the "concept" of flavors blending together while they cook. It's unique each time you make it. I used to buy pre-made "curry" which I thought had a great taste but this achieves that taste on a whole new level. The only way I can think of explaining it is comparing frozen veggies to fresh ones....they just aren't the same. I doubt I will be using pre-made "curry" in the future unless I need a quick spice to throw in! End verdict.....I could easily sit down and just eat this sauce right out of a bowl! It's delicious!
1 C red lentils
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 white onions diced or in a food processor
1 Tbsp garlic minced (about 3 garlic cloves) & minced ginger
1 28 oz can of pureed tomatoes (I use diced & then put in the processor)
1/2 can tomato paste
1 tsp Garam Masala, Coriander powder & Cumin
1/4 tsp Turmeric
2 tsp red Chili Powder
salt & soy milk to taste
1 Cup of frozen peas defrosted
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add in 2 tsp ground coriander. Add in 2 cups basmati rice. Cover & reduce heat to low & cook for about 12-20 minutes until water is evaporated. Remove from heat & keep covered for another 10. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add Onions and salt — saute until moisture is evaporated. Add Ginger and Garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes

Add Pureed Tomatoes and paste
Add washed lentils and cook until Oil separates from the mixture

Add in Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chili Powder and Garam Masala — mix well
Add soy milk to make the gravy to desired consistency. Bring Gravy to a boil and switch off the stove



No comments:
Post a Comment