Sunday, September 18, 2011


I LOVE soups! I think I eat soup everyday in the winter! They are hearty and filling and can be so packed full of nutrients! I don't feel quite as passionate about brussel sprouts however. In fact I might even say they are one of my least favorite veggies but they are just cute little cabbages that I think look so great in food so I like to get a bundle of them every once in a while and try something new with them. When I think of brussel sprouts visions of these mini cabbages smothered in cheese sauce from my childhood fill my thoughts but the calories alone in that almost cancel out the whole point of eating them in the first place! So how can we make this pastime of yucky veggies to a wonderful addition to a meal and see these in  a whole new light?
BARLEY!!!! I love barley because it is really hearty and filling. It makes such a nice soup broth and when adding mushrooms you get a really unique taste!

2 garlic cloves
2 yellow onions
6-8 Cups water
3 tbsp tamari
Some salt & pepper
3-5 dashes of cayenne pepper
1/2 Cup washed pot barley
3 Cups brussell sprouts cut into 1/4 or halves


Saute garlic cloves with yellow onions on medium heat until they are translucent. Add  water, tamari, cracked pepper, cayenne pepper until boiling. REDUCE TO SIMMER-It is very important that you do not boil the soup too much. Once soup it brought to a boil reduce to a simmer. Add barley and brussel sprouts. Allow this to cook for about 10 minutes and then add a couple of Cups sliced mushrooms
Simmer for another 20 minutes or until it tastes how you want it to!

No comments:

Post a Comment